Asphalt Shingles Roof: What You Need To Know
Asphalt shingles are a popular roofing material for homes across the United States due to their versatility, affordability, and ease of installation. It is important to understand the various types of asphalt shingles, their benefits, costs, and lifespans, as well as the pros and cons of choosing asphalt shingles for your roof replacement!
What Is An Asphalt Shingle Roof?
An asphalt shingle roof is a type of roofing system that uses asphalt-impregnated fiberglass or organic mat as the main waterproofing material. These shingles are typically coated with mineral granules to protect them from UV rays and enhance their durability.
Types of Asphalt Roofing Shingles
One of the greatest benefits why you should choose a shingle roof for your home is that shingles come in a variety of options! Three main types of asphalt roofing shingles are 3-tab, architectural, and luxury. Each type has its own set of benefits, costs, and lifespans.
1.) 3 Tab Asphalt Shingle
What are three-tab asphalt shingles?
Three-tab asphalt shingles are the most basic type of asphalt shingle. They consist of a single layer of material with cutouts or “tabs” along the bottom edge, giving the appearance of three separate shingles.
- Affordability: Three-tab shingles are the most affordable type of asphalt shingle, making them an attractive option for homeowners on a tight budget.
- Ease of installation: The lightweight and simple design of three-tab shingles makes them easy for professional roofers or DIY enthusiasts to install.
- Wide variety of colors and styles: Three-tab shingles are available in a broad range of colors and styles, allowing homeowners to customize the look of their roof to match their home’s aesthetic.
- Lower cost compared to other asphalt shingles: Three-tab shingles are typically the least expensive type of asphalt shingle, making them a popular choice for homeowners seeking an affordable roofing option.
- Approximately 15-20 years: While the lifespan of three-tab shingles is shorter than that of other asphalt shingles, they still offer a reasonable service life for the price.
2.) Architectural Asphalt Shingles
What are architectural asphalt shingles?
Architectural asphalt shingles, also known as laminated or dimensional shingles, are made of multiple layers of material bonded together. This creates a thicker, more dimensional appearance, resembling wood or slate roofing.
- Enhanced aesthetic appeal: The multi-layered construction of architectural shingles gives them a more textured and visually appealing appearance compared to three-tab shingles.
- Improved durability: The additional layers in architectural shingles make them stronger and more resistant to damage from wind, hail, and other weather-related factors.
- Better wind resistance: Architectural shingles typically have higher wind resistance ratings than three-tab shingles, making them a better choice for homes in areas prone to high winds or severe weather.
- Moderate cost: Architectural shingles are more expensive than 3-tab shingles but less expensive than luxury shingles, offering a balance between affordability and durability for many homeowners.
- Approximately 25-30 years: Architectural shingles generally have a longer lifespan than 3-tab shingles, providing better long-term value for homeowners who are willing to invest in a slightly more expensive roofing option.
3.) Luxury Asphalt Shingle
What are luxury asphalt shingles?
Luxury asphalt shingles (also called premium asphalt shingles) are the highest quality asphalt shingles available. They are designed to mimic the appearance of premium roofing materials, such as wood shakes, slate, or tile.
- Superior durability: Luxury shingles are made with high-quality materials and advanced manufacturing techniques, resulting in a stronger, more durable roofing option than other asphalt shingles.
- High-end aesthetic appeal: Luxury shingles are designed to closely resemble more expensive roofing materials, providing an upscale look for homeowners who want the appearance of premium roofing without the high cost.
- Enhanced wind and weather resistance: Luxury shingles typically have higher wind resistance ratings and better overall weather resistance than other asphalt shingles, making them an excellent choice for homes in areas with harsh weather conditions.
- Highest cost among asphalt shingles: While luxury shingles are more expensive than other types of asphalt shingles, they offer superior durability and aesthetic appeal, which may justify the higher price for some homeowners.
- Approximately 30-50 years: Luxury shingles have the longest lifespan among asphalt shingles, providing homeowners with a long-lasting roofing option that requires less frequent replacement.
Asphalt Shingles Pros and Cons
Asphalt shingles offer a range of benefits, including affordability, ease of installation, and a variety of styles and colors. However, they may not last as long as other roofing materials, such as metal or tile, and may require more maintenance in the long run.
Is Asphalt an Affordable Roofing Option?
Yes, asphalt shingles are considered an affordable roofing option, particularly when compared to other materials such as wood, metal, or tile. Homeowners can choose the best option for their budget and needs, with the understanding that higher-quality shingles may offer better long-term value. You can request an online quote from your local roofer to discover how affordable shingle roofs can be for you!
Asphalt Shingle Roof Cost
The cost of an asphalt shingle roof varies depending on the type. Costs can also be influenced by factors such as the complexity of the roof installation, the size of the roof, and the region in which the home is located.
How Long Do Asphalt Shingles Last?
The lifespan of asphalt shingles depends on the type, quality, and installation. On average, 3-tab shingles last 15-20 years, architectural shingles last 25-30 years, and luxury shingles last 30-50 years.
What is the longest-lasting type of asphalt shingle?
Luxury asphalt shingles have the longest lifespan, lasting between 30-50 years, depending on the brand, installation, and maintenance. These premium shingles are designed with high-quality materials and advanced manufacturing techniques, resulting in a durable and long-lasting roofing option.
Is an Asphalt Shingles Roof Right For You?
Determining whether asphalt shingles are right for your home depends on your unique needs, preferences, and budget. As an affordable, versatile, and easy-to-install roofing option, asphalt shingles offer a variety of styles and colors that cater to various tastes. To help you make an informed decision on why you should choose a shingle roof, consider consulting with Regal Roofing Brandon for your roof replacement needs.
Visit our website to explore the areas Regal Roofing Brandon serves and begin your roofing journey today. By partnering with our experienced team, we can provide expert guidance and quality service to ensure that you make the right choice for your roofing needs and enjoy a durable, attractive roof for years to come!